[mythtv-users] Debian Install Question

shadestalker at gmail.com shadestalker at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 03:15:57 UTC 2006

On 11/28/06, Scott Martin <smartin at steamvalve.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have come close to having a running a combo FE/BE mythtv on my Dell
> box but am now confused. I was able to run mythtv-setup originally but
> cannot anymore because It takes me back to a login screen.

I'm afraid I don't have any real ideas here, except that it sounds
like mythtv-setup is crashing KDE or the X server.  I wouldn't run
myth under a full desktop environment, most people seem to choose
something lightweight like fluxbox.

> One Debian question I must ask is can I safely run dselect to upgrade
> packages without breaking things. for some reason mythweb will not upgrade?

What does 'apt-cache policy mythweb' and 'apt-cache show mythweb' say?

If there are new dependencies for the new mythweb, you can normally
just 'apt-get install' it or 'apt-get dist-upgrade' to get all updates
and new dependencies.

> I am tempted to wipe the disk clean and start over again
>
> Any thoughts on whre to start looking?

Simplify as much as you can.  Run the minimum necessary to make mythtv
work, and eschew the full-blown desktop environments.  See if anything
else causes problems with X or your window manager.  Finally, since
you're running unstable, wait a few days and update everything and
hope for the best.  I'm running my setup on etch and haven't had any
fatal issues so far.