[mythtv-users] An option for watching tv

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 03:17:19 UTC 2006

> mythtv has tv and recording in it. xawtv or tvtime have just tv in them.

No. MythTV has recording and playback, but not true 'Live TV', that's
what all the traffic on this list for the last three or four weeks has
been about.

What has been stated over and over is this: 'Live TV' begins a
recording and begins playing back a recording immediately. It does not
and cannot currently pass a signal straight through to the display.

If that's not good enough for you, you can set up Myth up to call an
external program that will do this. However, if you do set up XAWTV or
something similar to do this, you will lose the ability to have Myth
resolve conflicts -- ie it will not be able to stop the external app
when the tuner is required for a scheduled recording.

Frankly I don't understand why anyone would go trough the trouble of
setting up a full featured PVR like Myth if they want to watch live
TV. The point of a PVR is to do away with the problems of live TV.

I also find explanations like 'I only have 4 GB free' baffling and
ridiculous. Storage has never been cheaper. Just buy a new disc.

If you or anyone else can manage to code a patch that will allow
signal pass-through that respects Myth's scheduler and conflict
resolution, I'm sure there are folks who would welcome it. But the
devs have made it clear that this is not a priority for them, and I
doubt it is a priority for the vast majority of Myth users.