[mythtv-users] Myth + Shuttle FE?

Mr. Demeanour mrdemeanour at jackpot.uk.net
Wed Nov 29 09:34:26 UTC 2006

alain.maisonneuve_lists at swiftpenguin.com wrote:
> I have a Shuttle XPC Myth box, Front/Backend combo, works great,
> quiet as a mouse and looks nice also next to my 42"LCD.

I have similar; it's an older Shuttle, 1.4GHz Intel P4, 512Mb RAM,
NVidia GeForce FX 5500, frontend/backend combo. Newer (faster) Shuttles
seem to produce more fan noise.

Were I starting again, and with the benefit of hindsight, I would not
have used a Shuttle. IMO it's not as quiet as it could be; I lean to the
view that it would be easier to make a really quiet box if there's more
room inside for air to move around. Also, a small-format box has very
limited internal expansion facilities; as a consequence I have had to
use USB TV adaptors, when I might have preferred to use PCI cards.

Finally, being a proprietary format, a Shuttle provides restricted
opportunities for modification. For example, the fans seem to be
non-standard (you can't fit standard system fans into the available
space, so when mine broke, I had to fork out UKP20 for a replacement).
You can't substitute out the cooling system - the Shuttle heatpipe is
the only system you can use.

The Shuttle is certainly quieter than my projector, which is a
Mitsubishi HC900E.

--
Jack.