[mythtv-users] Multiple Backends

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Nov 29 15:26:51 UTC 2006

On Nov 29, 2006, at 2:23 AM, Ian Newby wrote:

> 1. Do you have to run mythfilldatabase on both boxes?-  both have the
> same channels

Nope. Just the master backend.  The slave will (as the name implies)
do what the master says as far as recording, transcoding, user jobs,
etc.

> 2. Do I need to install mythweb on both boxes?

No. In fact, you don't even need to install mythweb on either box. As
long as it has appropriate access to the database it can reside on
any machine. That's what those internets are all about, after all.

> 2a  If it is only needed on one box, does it have to be the
> masterbackend?
> 3. The boxes are connected together using 54mb Wifi, will this
> allow me
> to connect from one frontend to the other backend?

Connect, yes. Be reliable and fast? Probably not. It's recommended
that you use ethernet and a switch between them since you'll be
passing video between them quite often.

> 4. Whats the best way to make one a backend?

I think this was answered in another post, but just make sure you
have static IP's on your machines so they always know how to connect
to each other. Then run mythtv-setup and specify the master backend's
IP where appropriate on both machines.