[mythtv-users] Compelling reasons to go 64bit?

Michael Szlapa mszlapa at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 29 16:30:07 UTC 2006

While I did not test it myself many people claimed improved
transcoding speed on 64bit by up to 30% for other applications
difference is minor.

I do not think there are any issues related to running 64 bit
myth on Ubuntu. I've run the mythtv (fe+be) on Ubuntu AMD64
using both Breezy and Edgy releases and had no issues related to
mythtv. There are official precompiled binaries(packages) for
mtyhtv, mplayer, nvidia accelerate binary driver etc. and those
work just fine. You only have to compile ivtv and lirc if you
use them. All linux games that I've installed work fine to.

I would agree that there are some hassles running 64 bit on
desktop, I run 32 bit Ubuntu on my both desktops.