[mythtv-users] Transcode blues...

Joe Silver devils.taco at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 16:48:54 UTC 2006

On 11/29/06, Michael Tiller <michael.tiller at gmail.com> wrote:

> One question...is it better to do this with the built-in transcoding or
> does it make more sense to user a user job?  (that is what I am working on
> currently)
>
> For example, at this point I cannot play HD recordings directly on my
> frontend.  I'd like to transcode all HD recordings down.  But if I set up
> automatic transcoding then it seems like I'll get into a situation where I'm
> transcoding everything which is unnecessary.  Using a user job, at least I
> can check the dimensions of the recording to see if it needs transcoding
> otherwise do nothing.  Or, perhaps I'm misunderstanding how automatic
> transcoding works?!?
>
> --
> Mike

You don't have to transcode *everything*.  When you setup to record a
program, one of the options is to auto-transcode.  When you do this, you
should choose which transcode profile to use for that particular program (or
weekly recording, etc).  I personally only need to transcode those HD
programs which i will watch with the xbox frontend (eg. 'The Office'), since
it can't handle full HD.  All SD programs are fine and I don't transcode
(eg. 'The Daily Show').  HD programs which I typically watch on my main
back/frontend don't need transcoded (eg. 'CSI'), since the hardware there
can handle HD with no problems.  It's actually very flexible.

-JS