[mythtv-users] More XvMC data points

Michael Tiller michael.tiller at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 17:01:21 UTC 2006

On 11/29/06, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:

> On Nov 29, 2006, at 8:41 AM, Michael Tiller wrote:
>
> That table states "Without XvMC, HD stutters a lot." on the 2.93GHzCeleron. Also note that it states no de-interlacing is being used. So yeah,
> I would say it's hopeless to get HD happening on that processor without
> XvMC. AGP/PCI should make no difference that I can tell. The table also
> states that using a Pentium 4 2.4, you can run HD without XvMC and get up
> to 70% CPU utilization. Switching might be your best option. You'll have to
> check your processors to see if they use the same socket. Pentium and
> Celeron came in a variety of different footprints.

Interestingly, I've gotten XvMC working (in the sense that I get the gray
OSD).  It isn't any better in terms of playback.  In fact, it makes the
system more unstable.  I've had it lock my whole system multiple times just
by "Alt-Tabbing" to another window.

This is all very frustrating.  I get an HDHomerun and then findout my system
can't handle the data I get. :-(

I'll look into swapping the CPUs.  I shudder to think what my wife will say
if I tell her I need to buy a new P4 just to play back the HD.  I've already
acquired the HDHomerun more memory and had to replace a motherboard just to
get to this point. :-(

--
Mike