[mythtv-users] Transcode blues...

Robert Tsai mythtv at tsaiberspace.net
Wed Nov 29 17:47:02 UTC 2006

On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 10:25:16AM -0700, Joe Silver wrote:
> On 11/29/06, Michael Tiller <michael.tiller at gmail.com> wrote:
> >Just so I get this straight, if I set a transcode profile, that by
> >itself doesn't do anything.  It is only if I also select
> >auto-transcode that it actually does the transcoding (according to
> >the profile).  Is that correct?
> >
> >If I don't select auto-transcode is there any reason to even have
> >the "transcode profile" in there?  In my experience if I transcode
> >manually (after recording) it always asks me for the transcoding
> >profile then.

This is a historical artifact.

It used to not be possible to select a transcode profile when manually
activating transcoding for a recording (it would only automatically
select the profile set up at configuration time).

The "fix" to avoid user confusion would be for the UI to enable the
transcode profile selection area only if auto-transcode is checked
(and to disable the profile selection if auto-transcode is not
checked).

--Rob