[mythtv-users] QAM channels through my TV (but not my tuner)

ICMan icman at eol.ca
Wed Nov 29 20:10:55 UTC 2006

Jesse Dhillon wrote:
> Carl Fongheiser wrote:
>
>> Your HD-5000's can't tune those channels because they are analog NTSC,
>> and those cards simply don't have that capability.
>>

> Thanks Carl. So I understand that the pcHDTV-3000 cards have this
> ability (it says on the product lineup that they can do NTSC tuning). Do
> you or anyone else have experience or knowledge about getting basic
> cable from this method? Thanks,
>
> Jesse.

Hi Jesse,

I just put together a box using the pcHDTV HD3000 card.  To configure
it, I had to completely ignore the instructions.  I had to set it up as
an Analog card, not a DVB card.  For whatever reason, I could not get
the analog channels to be recognized in DVB mode, even though the
channel scanner said that the signal level was 100%, and the S-N ratio
was really high for every channel.  I think this might be because I am
in Toronto, and Rogers encrypts all its QAM channels, even for regular
digital cable.  (CRTC sucks!)

The instructions say to configure it as a DVB card, and then there will
be a screen for you to configure the analog portion.  You can try that
too, if you want.  But after days of failures, setting it up as an
Analog card fixed everything for me, and now it works great.

ICMan