[mythtv-users] Mythtube: Internet Video on Demand

Jeff volckaert jvolckaert at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 23:41:37 UTC 2006

On 11/29/06, Willy Boyd <willyboyd at gmail.com> wrote:
> > In theory PHP should be able to kick off mencoder, I guess it's just a
> > matter of the cpu, disk and bandwidth keeping up with the on-the-fly
> > encoding.  I have seen snippets of PHP code that downsample mp3's to a
> > lower bitrate for internet streaming with lame and that's basically
> > the same thing (albeit less processing since it's only audio).
>
> ... Oh but I guess then you wouldn't get seeking, which is important
> if you want to skip past commercials.  Nevermind.
I do automatic commercial skip on the backend so seeking to skip
commercials is not a problem.  One thing I like about Mythtube is that
it doesn't use Mythweb.  I can send a link to friends and have them
use it without having to login into Mythweb.  It's just a small PHP
script with a flashplayer and some FLV files.  Very simple, very
clean.

Jeff