[mythtv-users] Multiple channels single tuner: a kludgey solution?

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Thu Nov 30 02:10:47 UTC 2006

So I was thinking about this and thought up a dodgy hack that might just
work.  It's not perfect in many ways.

I notice some discussions about IPTV streams being usable in MythTV.  So
if you had a tuner for every multiplex, you could demux each tuner and
turn each into an IPTV stream (with dvbstream?).  Each stream is then
seen as an individual "tuner", from the MythTV perspective.

Of course there's problems:
* You'll need a tuner per multiplex, or at least one free tuner to be an
  "ordinary" tuner to catch the rest
* There's a continuous overhead doing the demuxing and streaming, even
  when nobody's watching/recording anything

Now I know little about IPTV, but does this sound plausible?  Can
dvbstream or similar product IPTV streams?

For people in the UK, it might be enough to have three tuners for DVB-t,
one for the main BBC mux, one for the C4/ITV mux and a floating one for
the rest.  That would cover the vast majority of really useful content.

Those of us in Australia don't get a whole lot of multichanneling right
now, so it wouldn't help much for us.  Our politicians need a changing.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

 "Non-combatant, n. A dead Quaker."
- Ambrose Bierce: The Devil's Dictionary