[mythtv-users] Has anyone tried integrating Broadcast machine with mythweb

Nick nikosf at mail.com
Thu Nov 30 11:25:05 UTC 2006

Dewey Smolka wrote:
>> Just a heads up.
>>
>> This list does NOT support or condone rebroadcast of recorded
>> materials via the public web or torrents. This means that any talk of
>> integrating BT clients into MythTV, or seeding Myth recordings is
>> STRONGLY DISCOURAGED.
>> <snip.

>This seems a bit strong.
>
>I have associates who are involved with video activism - teaching people
>to make effective political use of video, and producing activist
>documentaries and news material. Because of the nature of the material,
>they have litle hope of getting it screened by mainstream TV and cable
>channels (and anyway that's not what they want); so they are
>distributing their work via BM and Democracy Player.
>
>snip
>The big rights-holders don't want to be seeing open-source digital PVRs
>*at all*. It would be much better from their POV if all the world's
>broadcast receivers were manufactured by technology licencees with a lot
>to lose; then the rights-holders could control what use was made of
>their material, even in places where copyright law doesn't reach. So I
>don't see that it makes any sense for the Myth-makers to try to "play
>nicely" with the Hollywood big boys.
>
>I think this is a dangerous posture to be adopting voluntarily (up
>against the wall supported by fingertips, legs apart, etc.)

As a happy user of MythTV, I have not interest in using the program to help make political statements.  There are more than enough avenues for people to distribute 'activism' documentaries (blogs, podcasts, YouTube) that they have produced.

Voluntarily adopting a position against piracy helps keep MythTV 'friends' on side (people like Radiotimes and others that co-operate in providing free and easy to use listing data).  Taking on the mantle as 'freedom fighters' will only mean crackdowns, and that's not in anyone's interest.

--

Search for products and services at:
http://search.mail.com