[mythtv-users] A poor HD viewing experience

Cymen Vig cymenvig at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 17:09:25 UTC 2006

On 11/30/06, Jesse Dhillon <tobor at berkeley.edu> wrote:
<snip>
>  When the new card gets here I'll let you know how it goes, and I'll try out
> various XvMC settings as well. With the cards I've just returned, I did not
> try XvMC.

Are you using an AGP slot? If so, investigate the NvAGP setting for
the Nvidia driver (and the related AGP gart stuff in the kernel). If
PCIe make sure your kernel has PCIe support compiled in. It doesn't
sound right to me that your disk is thrashing. You may want to run top
or another utility to see how much time is spent in io wait, use
hdparm to check your hard drive settings, and of course check what was
mentioned first to make sure the path to your video card is optimal.