[mythtv-users] Indoor Antenna with PChdtv 5500

Robert Tsai mythtv at tsaiberspace.net
Thu Nov 30 20:32:00 UTC 2006

On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 11:51:36AM -0800, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Nov 30, 2006, at 11:29 AM, nik gibson wrote:
> > I've read of people in apartments using an indoor antenna to pull
> > down Over The Air HDTV content.  I'm in Manhattan and I know all
> > the antennas are on the Empire State Building but I don't have a
> > clear view  (that would cost way more than I want to pay :). Is
> > this feasible?  If anyone has a success story about pulling
> > content over the air using an indoor antenna please let me know,
> > I'd like to verify it works before shelling out $80+ to buy one.
>
> The short answer is yes, they work.
>
> I'm in the southern part of San Francisco and get lots of channels
> with my indoor antenna. There are two major directions for channels
> here so I've got two relatively inexpensive antennae from Radio
> Shack  (the $30 and the $50 one). I've got them pointed in different
> directions and pick up all the channels I want. Unfortunately I only
> have 1 capture card but I'm planning on ordering the HDHomeRun and
> plugging both antennae into that, positioning them differently and
> setting up different channels for each (with some overlap).

Can you plug in two OTA antennas into a single capture card? Is that
just using a splitter in the "reverse" direction?

I currently have two antennae (the $20 circle-in-a-triangle one from
Radio Shack), each going into its own capture card, so there are some
stations that only have one capture card available. It would be nice
to get all stations on both cards (e.g., "reverse split", then "split"
to both capture cards).

--Rob