[mythtv-users] Dell C521 as a frontend

Alex Malinovich demonbane at the-love-shack.net
Thu Nov 30 23:59:59 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-30 at 18:41 -0500, Hydrian wrote:
> Ello all,
>     I was wondering if anybody has experimented with a Dell C251 as a
> linux machine and possibly as MythTV frontend.  At least spec wise is
> looks perfect for me.  DVI and digital audio out.  If any body has
> played with one, what were the noise levels like with that machine?
> At sub $400, it looks like a reasonably  priced frontend.

If you're using it for JUST a frontend it'll probably be a good choice,
but if you're planning on getting any serious use out of it I'd start
out with an Athlon 64 (the base model has a Sempron) and bump up the RAM
and HD for starters.

As far as getting it up and running as a Linux machine I would imagine
it would be a pretty safe bet. Most of Dell's machines nowadays work
quite well in Linux. The onboard video is Nvidia so it should work
pretty will with Nvidia's closed-source drivers. I've installed Debian
on 5 different recent models of Dells (totaling about 15 machines) and
they've all worked without a hitch.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837