[mythtv-users] mythfrontend 0.20 Protocol version mismatch (frontend=30, backend=31)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Oct 2 17:56:46 UTC 2006

On 10/02/06 12:50, Walter Hofstetter wrote:

>This is a bit annoying - I would love to see a version number which
>contains an indications of the protocol version used or at least  kind
>of a warning when protocol versions are changing.
>
>I'm running mythtv from the atrpm repo and struggled with the same befor.
>My frontend runs on a mac mini in my livingroom and it's always more
>complicated to get binaries for MAC with the right plug-ins...
>
>Just my five cents, Walter

How about:

MythTV 0.20:0.20.20060828-3:30:1158
MythTV SVN fixes 0.20:0.20.20060915-1:31:1160 (as of today, Oct 2)
MythTV SVN trunk trunk:0.20.20060915-1:31:1161

Which is "<version number>:<binary version number>:<protocol
version>:<DB schema version>".

I doubt we'd have any problems.  It's not like people have a hard enough
time with the current version numbers.  ("I'm using Myth 20-fixes."
"I'm using Myth 0.2."  "I'm using Myth 20."  "I'm using Myth 19.1"  "I'm
using Myth 0.191." ...)

Oh, wait.  Even if we use the above recommended versioning, it doesn't
say which MythMusic or MythVideo DB (or ...) schema we're using.  I
guess we can add them into the version string, too.

Or, we could just tell people to always run the same version of Myth on
all their systems, and they could bug the packagers who don't track the
SVN fixes branch, instead of "blaming" Myth for the problem.  ;)

(BTW, kudos to the packagers who /do/ track the -fixes branch.)

Mike