[mythtv-users] Newb frustration with LIRC, IR Blasters, etc.

Pete Cap peteoutside at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 2 23:33:40 UTC 2006

All,

I went and got the $12 basic IR blaster from irblaster.info.

Having checked out the howto guides at losdos (http://losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/mythtv-info/IR-BLASTER-HOWTO.html) and at http://www.htpcug.com/blaster.htm AND at http://iwamble.net/IRBlaster_Howto.txt, I am still completely stumped trying to set up the IR blaster so myth can control my DCT2224 set-top box.

There appear to be no up-to-the-minute guides except for this last; most of the howto guides cover older kernels, old versions of lircd, and so forth, and there appear to be fairly significant differences among versions that preclude me from just adapting the guides to the latest source.  They also all feature dead links at one point or another, typically when you get to some link that reads "Don't worry, just click here if you're using Fedora" or "If you have problems, check out the mailing list at..." As I am running FC5 over the 2.6.17 kernel this is a bit frustrating.  The final howto actually concerns FC5 but is generally incomprehensible; the author assumes that the reader knows quite a bit about Linux in general and lirc in particular--no terms are explained, nor is the process explained--yet they are not comprehensive to just copy and paste.

Anyway, if anyone could just point me at a faq for setting up LIRC over FC5 I would appreciate it (though please do not point me at any of the howtos I have already mentioned).

Thanks in advance,
Pete