[mythtv-users] Newb frustration with LIRC, IR Blasters, etc.

Pete Cap peteoutside at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 3 03:11:38 UTC 2006

Nick <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:
Do you want to set up a first installation of LIRC, or do you want to
set up a second instance of LIRC to control your IR blaster because
you are already running an installation of LIRC for your IR receiver?
What type of IR receiver are you currently using with the machine?

If it's the latter, what errors are you getting from the losdos site's
walkthrough? I've used this in the past to build a second instance of
LIRC and it worked well.

You could read through
http://www.eggshellskull.com/lirc/blaster/index.php and see if it
helps at all (written for FC3 but still mostly valid).

Nick

My setup is quite "bare bones" and I only need it to control the cable set-top box so it can pull off scheduled recordings.  So for this I only need one instance of LIRC, to run the IR Blaster.

Following the instructions at the losdos guide I get the following error when their script attempts to configure:

configure: error: *** you need to have the Linux kernel source installed for this driver

The thing is, I have got the kernel modules for lirc already installed via yum:

[root at rockstar ~]# rpm -qa | grep lirc
lirc-lib-0.8.1-61_cvs20060628.fc5.at
lirc-lib-devel-0.8.1-62_cvs20060930.fc5.at
lirc-devices-0.7.0-2.fc5.at
lirc-0.8.1-62_cvs20060930.fc5.at
lirc-kmdl-2.6.17-1.2187_FC5-0.8.1-61_cvs20060628.fc5.at

Not sure where to go next :\

--Pete