[mythtv-users] [solved, but how?] Re: name change effecting mythconverg database

Nick Ellson grimm at nickellson.com
Tue Oct 3 12:50:17 UTC 2006

So the idea is that when my system was just pixie.home and the database
dump shows "pixie" only, that it wasn't getting the FQDN somehow and my
redoing the domainname to nickellson.com maybe have now woke it up into
using pixie.nickellson.com?

I had banged my head into this quite a bit last night. Looked through some
more logs, and decided to go after another issue I was having after
updating all my packages. (Gentoo box, moved to 2.6.28 sources and had to
generate my own ebuild for ivtv 0.8.0) Anyway in that process I noticed
that my firmware for my two PVR-500's was not being found. I corrected
that, and to really irritate me the system stopped complaining about my
SQL/Backend database connection. <sigh> Is there a change that if my
tuners would not load that the part of the backend governing Live TV and
recording playback could have actually not been running? So instead of a
permissions issues as the error half lead to, it would have really been
the backend not firing on all thrusters?

All I did was make sure the gentoo package of ivtv was putting the
firmware where it was being looked for. Then reloaded the ivtv module,
which took 20 secs longer than before and showed in dmesg that it was
actually finding the cards. Restarted mythbackend, (not the frontend) and
when I tried to open live TV, it just worked.. no error. Same with
playback, and all my previously recorded stuff was showing.

As it sits, after seveal reboots just to make sure, my only issus seems to
be the auto-login and fvwm/X11 startup got removed in my update, so I need
to remember which of the many methods of auto-login I used before ;)

Thank you all for the advice, I saved that troubleshooting page on name
changes in my document store incase I do this again.

Nick

--
Nick Ellson
CCDA, CCNP, CCSP, CCAI,