[mythtv-users] Question on configuring rlimits

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Tue Oct 3 12:54:17 UTC 2006

On Tue Oct 03, 2006 at 10:36:11PM +1000, Phill Edwards wrote:

> > > 2) Is there some sort of check I can do to make sure this worked and
> > > that the frontend is running with realtime scheduling of the video
> > > output thread?
> > >
> > If you run top while watching a recording/LiveTV then the thread should
> > have a priority of RT (i.e. realtime) - you may have to provide top with
> > extra switches to show threads, I use htop which does that by default.
>
> Are you sure about that? I've installed htop on my FC5 system and all
> I can see in the "PRI" column are numbers - mythfrontend is 15.
> Nothing saying "RT". My limits.conf says:
>
> *               -       rtprio          0
> *               -       nice            0
> @mythtv         -       rtprio          50
> @mythtv         -       nice            0
>
> Am I doing something wrong?

Well, I'm not 100% certain because I'm using the realtime security
module instead of limits (since my PAM is still pre 0.79) but I'd think
it should still show as RT.  Have you checked all the mythfrontend
threads (and done it while watching something - only the display thread
is realtime)?  I've got one at 25 and several at 15 normally, then an RT
one while it's playing.

Cheers,
        Robin
--