[mythtv-users] 1080i HD without XvMC, how much horsepower?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 13:35:28 UTC 2006

On 10/3/06, Alex Brekken <brekkal at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/3/06, Scott Alfter <mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org> wrote:
> > > What sort of cpu usage do you get?
> >
> > With last week's ER, I was getting mid-30s when I tested it a few minutes
> ago.
>
> And this is without XVMC??  Wow. I'm in the process of building a HD-capable
> front end and was going to go with a dual-core AMD 3800 X2.  I think I might
> save a little cash and go for the 3700 instead.

My Athlon 3200+ plays 1080i/720p fine with Bob and Onefield. Kernel
seems to need just  a bit too much CPU, pushing the processor into the
90's with occasional skipping. Normally it sits around 60% for 1080i.

Though honestly, I haven't been able to tell much difference between
Bob/Onefield and Kernel for HD content anyway. A proper and high
performance IVTC for HD content would be the best option, though with
the way some stations telecine their frames it would be next to
impossible to get perfect. We'll just have to wait for them to start
broadcasting everything in 1080p (the way it should be! =).

Of course, if your building a new machine for this, I would recommend
spending a little extra money and going with a Core2Duo system,
they're slightly more $ but impressively faster than the Athlon X2's
which will make things like x264 playback not an issue.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!