[mythtv-users] Any sample HDTV files available?

Neil Dunbar neil.dunbar at pobox.com
Tue Oct 3 15:47:07 UTC 2006

George Nassas wrote:
> On 3-Oct-06, at 3:39 AM, Richard Bos wrote:
>

>> http://www.bbcmotiongallery.com/Customer/index.aspx
>>

> Which of those is 1080p mpeg2? Not challenging you but all I've ever
> seen there is 720p and either h.264 or whatever microsoft is favouring.

Try this one (MPEG2 rendering of "Elephant's Dream"):

http://multimediacom.free.fr/HD-DVD/MPEG2/

There are subdirectories for encoding at 6Mbps (a bit lower than HDTV),
12 Mbps (about right) and 24 Mbps (utterly insane). There is also a
similar rendering in H.264, and will eventually contain VC-1 encodings.
It's all part of the HD-DVD codec comparison. At the moment, it would
seem that H.264 gives the highest fidelity encoding, but things are
still much in flux. The crunching power needed to decode H.264 24 Mbps
in real time is frightening (ask anyone who's been trying to view the
BBC's HD test broadcasts on their computer!)

Cheers,

Neil