[mythtv-users] protocol version mismatch, what's the best solution?

William Munson wmunson at rochester.rr.com
Tue Oct 3 18:23:20 UTC 2006

Kelly Reed Schuerman wrote:
> I started out with myth 4 years ago compiling everything but have
> since moved to binary packages, but this upgrade has brought me back
> to compiling which I haven't done for some time so I have some
> questions.
>
> I am having the protocol version mismatch issue with FC5 atrpms binary
> backend (protocol 31) and Ubuntu Dapper source build frontend
> (protocol 30). I built from source on the frontend in hopes that it
> would use protocol 31.
>
> What is the best solution?
>
> Build the FC5 backend from source to back it off to protocol 30? Will
> there be any database version issues with this method? Is it possible
> to load an older binary build for FC5 to back it off to protocol 30,
> if so how do you specify that build with yum? Also, any database
> issues?
>
> Are there any binary packages for Ubuntu for protocol 31? Is there a
> source package somewhere that will compile to protocol 31?

You will need to build the 0.20-fixes branch to get a compatible proto
31 frontend. The poor choice to change protocols without changing the
release rev is causing many problems for those who install packages.
Personally I would build all machines from the same source manually. It
has the advantage that you only have to enable the features you need and
nothing else. Should make for a more reliable machine.