[mythtv-users] For Sale - Highend MythTV box/DVR/PVR installed and ready to go...

Andrew Davis andrew at nccomp.com
Tue Oct 3 19:11:17 UTC 2006

Yes, this is off topic, and yes, I know this isn't Ebay. However, I
thought there might be some people out there interested in a h/w
solution with the latest MythTV already installed and working... or
perhaps some existing users looking to save a bit on some hardware. That
said, I'm selling my brand new MythTV box and thought I'd offer here
before posting it up on Ebay.

Hardware-wise, here's the list:

SilverStone case (LC17S)
http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-lc17C.htm

SilverStone USB/FW/Card Reader (replaces the stock one that comes with
the case - FP34S)
http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-fp34.htm

SilverStone 600W Modular Power Supply (the modular power supplies really
rock as far cutting down on cable clutter - ST60F)
http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-60f.htm

SilverStone Power Supply Acoustic Cover (cuts about 12dB of sound - PP02)
http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-pp02.htm

FoxConn Motherboard (955X7AA-8EKRS2)
http://www.foxconnchannel.com/Product/motherboard_detail.aspx?ID=en-us0000003

Intel P4 3.0Ghz LGA775 2Mb cache (BX80547PG3000F)
http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL7Z9

2 x Corsair XMS2X Twin2X 1Gb PC5400 DDR2 RAM (CM2X1024-5400C4)
http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/xms2.html

3 x WD 250Gb SATAII HD w/ 3 year warranty (WD2500JS)
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=135

Plextor SATA DVD burner 16x DVD+/-R/W (PX-755SA/SW-BL)
http://www.plextor.com/ENGLISH/products/Store/Store.htm

Leadtek WinFast 128Mb DDR 16xPCI-E VGA/DVI/HDTV
http://www.leadtek.com.tw/eng/3d_graphic/overview.asp?lineid=1&pronameid=214

Hauppauge WinTV PVR500 MCE Kit (card + remote + receiver)
http://hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_pvr500mcekit.html

All parts above are assembled and installed. There is no non-working h/w
(ie: nothing that lacks linux support, etc). All original packaging,
extra cables, etc are available and included. I spent well over $1800 on
the above.

Links to images of the system are below.

Other h/w details/notes:
I have all the extra mounting screws, cables, and the original USB/card
reader that came with the case
Since the power supply is modular, I'm only using three of the supplied
cables. All other cables are available
The p/w acoustic cover makes an already very quiet system almost
completely silent
CPU, case fans, and power supply fans all exhaust out the side - perfect
for installation with other a/v equipment
All extra parts, screws, and cables that came with the motherboard are
available - same for the SATA DVD drive
The Leadtek video card includes the dongle that provides both s-video
and component out
The Hauppauge video card bundle includes the remote, the USB receiver,
and an IR blaster
The motherboard supports full analog and digital outputs via SPDIF as
well as 7.1 surround sound out via the onboard ports

Software-wise, here's the details:

The system was installed with Fedora Core 5 following the guide at
http://wilsonet.com and using MythTv .20. Everything updated and
installed cleanly. There were no dependency errors or issues during
installation. MythTV .20 is installed. All h/w works (tuner cards, video
out, remote, etc). The OS/MythTV was installed onto a RAID5 of the 250Gb
drives. After formatting and overhead of the OS itself, there's
approximately 480Gb available disk space. Internally there are only
three hard drives installed. Room exists for three more in the other
drive bay, plus there two other "hidden" (ie: not front accessible)
3.5'' drive bays. This box could easily have 3x500Gb drives added in a
RAID0 or RAID5 for an additional 1.0 to 1.5Tb of storage. To ship, all
is needed is to change the root and mythtv passwords, and upon receipt
just wire it up and setup your channels/tuner inputs/DataDirect feed.
FWIW: I have successfully had this outputting to a standard 27'' TV, a
JVC 61'' widescreen plasma, and a 17'' LCD monitor. For whoever buys
this, I'll provide 30 days of email technical support (I know linux
extremely well and MythTV very well).

Having spent over $1800 on all the parts, plus time installing the h/w
(I'm very anal-retentive about hardware, so all cables are lined up for
good airflow, nothing is scratched, etc) and s/w, I'm looking to get
about $1500 for everything, though I'll consider any reasonable offer.
Please feel free to email me at andrew_at_nccomp_dot_com with any
reasonable offer. If the offer is right, I'll cover the shipping costs
with the 50 United States via a carrier that provides tracking (FedEx or
UPS). I'm open to PayPal, cashiers check or money order, or a
personal/business check (though for this it must be from a national
bank... ie: Wells Fargo, BofA, Washington Mutual, etc and I'll wait for
the check to clear before shipping). I know there's always some
hesitation in buying online these days. People want the protection of
Ebay and Paypal, etc... though there are also lots of scammers on Ebay
as well as Ebay's fees. That said, I just sold my OQO 01+ via
OQOTalk.com, with a PayPal payment and the new owner is quite happy. You
can see his post here:
http://www.oqotalk.com/index.php/topic,265.0.html. You can also contact
the buyer at wtleaver_at_gmail_dot_com and he'll confirm the transaction
and my email address (think of this as non-Ebay feedback).

Finally, this system has a 600W power supply due to its capabilities
(total of 8 x 3.5'' and 2 x 5.25'' drives possible). However, in its
present state, it could get away with a power supply as small as 350W.
That said, I also have a modular Antec 430 HE (that high efficiency)
power supply that works just fine with this system. If you want to leave
the h/w as is and not add anything further, you could install the Antec
power supply in place of the SilverStone p/s and save on electrical
costs and reduce the noise by about 3dB. If the offer is right
(somewhere near what I'm asking), I'll throw in this extra p/s at no charge.

Links to pics (note in the first two images it looks like a scratch or
blemish on the case. Its not... that's a shadow/reflection and you can
see it moves depending on the angle):
http://nccomp.com/mythpix/IMG_0581.jpg
http://nccomp.com/mythpix/IMG_0582.jpg
http://nccomp.com/mythpix/IMG_0583.jpg
http://nccomp.com/mythpix/IMG_0584.jpg
http://nccomp.com/mythpix/IMG_0585.jpg
http://nccomp.com/mythpix/IMG_0586.jpg
http://nccomp.com/mythpix/IMG_0587.jpg
http://nccomp.com/mythpix/IMG_0588.jpg
http://nccomp.com/mythpix/IMG_0589.jpg
http://nccomp.com/mythpix/IMG_0590.jpg
http://nccomp.com/mythpix/IMG_0591.jpg
http://nccomp.com/mythpix/IMG_0592.jpg
http://nccomp.com/mythpix/IMG_0593.jpg
http://nccomp.com/mythpix/IMG_0594.jpg
http://nccomp.com/mythpix/IMG_0595.jpg
http://nccomp.com/mythpix/IMG_0596.jpg
http://nccomp.com/mythpix/IMG_0597.jpg
http://nccomp.com/mythpix/IMG_0598.jpg
http://nccomp.com/mythpix/IMG_0599.jpg
http://nccomp.com/mythpix/IMG_0600.jpg
http://nccomp.com/mythpix/IMG_0601.jpg
http://nccomp.com/mythpix/IMG_0602.jpg
http://nccomp.com/mythpix/IMG_0603.jpg
http://nccomp.com/mythpix/IMG_0604.jpg
http://nccomp.com/mythpix/IMG_0605.jpg
http://nccomp.com/mythpix/IMG_0606.jpg
http://nccomp.com/mythpix/IMG_0607.jpg
http://nccomp.com/mythpix/IMG_0608.jpg
http://nccomp.com/mythpix/IMG_0609.jpg
http://nccomp.com/mythpix/IMG_0610.jpg
http://nccomp.com/mythpix/IMG_0611.jpg
http://nccomp.com/mythpix/IMG_0612.jpg

As you might notice in some of the pics, I have a decent sized movie
collection copied to this system. All are 16:9 DVD's ripped to 1Gb xvid
.avi files. If requested, I might forget to remove them before shipping. :)

Oh, and the final item... why am I selling this? Well, its not cause
there's anything wrong with it. It all works fine. I'm selling it
because I like gadgets and geeky projects. This was both for me, but I
want to recoup some of the costs so I can go on to my next project. :)