[mythtv-users] Protocol mismatch problem and ongoing GUI colours problem

Clyde Stubbs clyde at htsoft.com
Tue Oct 3 20:50:27 UTC 2006

While attempting to solve my ongoing problem with wrong GUI colours since
installing 0.20 I upgraded to the latest ATrpms, to find that my front-
and back-ends were disagreeing on the protocol version. Dropping back
to earlier builds didn't immediately solve this, until I finally realized
that

1) The ATrpms builds are from the 0.20-fixes branch;
2) The 0.20-fixes include not only fixes but "enhancements" - specifically a protocol
   version number increment
3) the dependencies amongst the packages don't distinguish between different
   builds of 0.20
4) the key issue is that the RPM dependencies allow any 0.20 package to satisfy
   the needs of other 0.20 packages
5) finally, I realized I had done

		yum upgrade myth\*

   which didn't pull in the new build of libmyth-0.20 - but the older builds
  (using protocol 30) are incompatible with the newer ones.

I don't know enough about building RPMs to know the best way to solve this,
though the workaround is obvious enough (yum update \*myth\*) but it
seems to me the fundamental problem is the lack of a version number increment
to reflect the protocol version increment.

So now the system is working again - except I still have the weird GUI
colour problem. Sigh. If I repeatedly restart mythfrontend the colours will
come good about once out of every 5 tries - that lasts until the next time
the frontend is restarted.

The WAF is currently somewhat degraded.

Clyde