[mythtv-users] HD and SD TV on 1 backend

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 3 23:23:25 UTC 2006

> Hi everyone.  maybe someone can help me with this issue.
>
> I've been monitoring the list for about a month now and can't seem to be
> content with a solution yet. I imagine this probably isn't the first time
> this was brought up, though...
>
> Is there a way to have 1 backend record both SD and HD TV?  I mean, it's
> technically possible since hardware supports viewing either (pcHDTV for
> example), however, when one sets up the backend (mythtv-setup), you can
> only
> specify 1 standard (eg ATSC or NTSC), but not both.
>
> You can already set up SD and HD channels at the same time off of zap2it.
> Why can't we put the TV standard as a member of the card instead of
> limiting
> the backend to 1 standard no matter how many cards there are?  While we're
> at it, why can't mythtv have 1 card support multiple standards?
>
> Is there a way around it or am I missing something?
>
> Thanks!
> - Dave

A backend is certainly capable of doing both SD and HD recording - mine is
capable of doing two SD recordings and one HD recording at the same time
(via a PVR-500 and a DViCo FusionHDTV 5 Lite).

When you add your inputs, you specify the input type on a per-card basis.
I'm not in front of my MythTV machine now, but on the same screen where
you specify the device name, you also specify the card type (with the
options being something like Analog, MPEG-2, DVB, etc.)

Please see http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-9.html#ss9.1 for how to
configure the backend.  It's not a complete step-by-step, but it gives you
a general idea of how to do it.

-- Joe

Signup at www.doteasy.com