[mythtv-users] Upgrade from 19 to 20

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 23:40:10 UTC 2006

On 03/10/06, Thom Paine <painethom at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm planning on upgrading my setup now to 20 so that I get the myth
> archive functionality. I have a combo BE/FE that runs FC4 as well as a
> FE that runs FC4.
>
> Should I disable all my repos and do a yum update first, then get my
> nvidia working again, and then update mythtv-suite? Is that the
> easiest solution? I'm hopeful that it will work without a hitch, but
> I'm not so sure that it will or not. I watched Smith last night, so I
> have a few days to get my system running again, but the little guy
> likes his cartoons too.

I would always advocate doing things in manageable tasks, and making
sure your system is stable after each task, and also that
audio/video/capture/LIRC still works before upgrading mythtv-suite. It
also helps with troubleshooting.

Doing everything in one go is usually quite painless (unless you
manage to pull in a new kernel that doesn't yet have kernel modules
available from atrpms.net etc), but as with any upgrade, it is
possible it might cause issues.

If you want to err on the side of caution, there's no harm in updating
your OS first, then updating mythtv-suite. I'd also take a backup of
your MythTV database (instructions on the wiki).

Nick

MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/
MythTV users list archive: