[mythtv-users] Partial updates considered *extremely* harmful (was: Protocol mismatch problem and ongoing GUI colours problem)

Clyde Stubbs clyde at htsoft.com
Tue Oct 3 23:49:20 UTC 2006

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 12:31:19AM +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> 3/4 of bug reports at ATrpms these days are because people think that
> yum install foo* or --include/--exclude statements are a wise thing to
> do. It isn't. It just creates bugs itself, bogus bug reports, steals
> time from developers, packagers and users for ... well for nothing.

My point in posting the message I did was not to complain to anybody in
particular, but rather to alert other users who might be wrestling with
the same issue I was - it took me a couple of hours to figure out where I
had gone wrong.

As far as selective updating goes, I suppose this situation illustrates
why it's a Bad Idea, but full updates don't always work either.

And selective updates do work fine most of the time - thanks to the
dependency resolution process.

Anyway Axel, I'll take this opportunity to say thanks for your work maintaining
the repository. Without it I'd have had to do a lot more work for my
MythTv system to be where it is now.

Clyde