[mythtv-users] Newb frustration with LIRC, IR Blasters, etc.

Pete Cap peteoutside at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 4 00:48:51 UTC 2006

Update:

The channel change script is like so:

#!/bin/sh
REMOTE_NAME=DCT2000
for digit in $(echo $1 | sed -e 's/./& /g'); do
irsend --device=/dev/lircd1 SEND_ONCE $REMOTE_NAME $digit
sleep 0.4 # note, you may have to tweak the interdigit delay up a bit
done
irsend --device=/dev/lircd1 SEND_ONCE $REMOTE_NAME OK

The relevant portion of modprobe.conf:

alias char-major-61-0 lirc_i2c
alias char-major-61-1 lirc_serial
options lirc_serial irq=4 io=0x3f8  #COM1 aka /dev/ttyS0
install lirc_i2c /sbin/modprobe ivtv; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install lirc_i2c
install lirc_serial setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install lirc_serial

When I change the channel-change script to use /dev/lircd it executes without any error messages; however, nothing happens on the set-top box.  I have no digital camera to test to see if the blaster is doing anything.  Nor have I seen any information on where exactly the IR blaster is supposed to go--does the stick bit fix to the front of the box?  To the "IR" port on the back?  Which way should it face?

Regards,
Pete