[mythtv-users] SOLVED Newb frustration with LIRC, IR Blasters, etc.

Pete Cap peteoutside at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 4 01:18:14 UTC 2006

All,

Problems solved.  The guide Nick posted did work; the key was setting the device to /dev/lircd (vice /dev/lircd1) and then telling the channel change script (/usr/local/bin/change_chan.sh) to enter a long series of numbers, then moving the IR blaster over the front surface of the set-top box until the channel started changing.  I can now change channels while watching "Live TV" and I assume that Myth will change channels in order to record scheduled programs.

Thanks everyone for your assistance.  Now if I can just lick that "fuzzy audio" problem I'll be set :)

Best regards,
Pete

Nick <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote: On 04/10/06, Pete Cap
 wrote:
> Update:
>
> The channel change script is like so:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> REMOTE_NAME=DCT2000
> for digit in $(echo $1 | sed -e 's/./& /g'); do
> irsend --device=/dev/lircd1 SEND_ONCE $REMOTE_NAME $digit
> sleep 0.4 # note, you may have to tweak the interdigit delay up a bit
> done
> irsend --device=/dev/lircd1 SEND_ONCE $REMOTE_NAME OK
>
> The relevant portion of modprobe.conf:
>
> alias char-major-61-0 lirc_i2c
> alias char-major-61-1 lirc_serial
> options lirc_serial irq=4 io=0x3f8  #COM1 aka /dev/ttyS0
> install lirc_i2c /sbin/modprobe ivtv; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install
> lirc_i2c
> install lirc_serial setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none; /sbin/modprobe
> --ignore-install lirc_serial
>
> When I change the channel-change script to use /dev/lircd it executes
> without any error messages; however, nothing happens on the set-top box.  I

This normally means things are good. It's no good giving irsend an
invented device (I think the LIRC error message could be improved
though to "Device not found" if you really do not have a /dev/lircd1
device)

> have no digital camera to test to see if the blaster is doing anything.  Nor
> have I seen any information on where exactly the IR blaster is supposed to
> go--does the stick bit fix to the front of the box?  To the "IR" port on the
> back?  Which way should it face?

The "stick bit" is there to fix the IR blaster over the IR receiver on
your cable box (the receiver is normally behind the glass/perspex
panel).

The easiest way to find out where this is is to execute the channel
change script with a long string of numbers and slowly move the IR
blaster across the glass display until you find the position where the
STB starts to detect the IR signals. Once you have found this
position, feel off the tape and affix it to your cable box.

Nick

MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/
MythTV users list archive: