[mythtv-users] Disabling commercial auto-skip doesn't work: SOLVED

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Wed Oct 4 20:38:21 UTC 2006

Well, this goes back awhile, for a long time I've had a strange issue
with commercial skip that I only just figured out a few weeks ago, and I
thought I would share for posterity what the problem was. In general,
commercial detection works great for me, probably about 95% accurate (I
am on standard cable in Ontario, Canada, for reference) with most
problems occurring at the very end of recordings, sometimes the final
scene got cut and the recording would end. I usually just went back into
the recording, skipped to the end and watched what I missed. I would
turn commercial-skip off at this time (I normally have it set to auto)
and sometimes I just could NOT get it to skip into the break that I
missed. I also noticed that the OSD sometimes would display the skip,
and sometimes not. It never really bothered me, but I finally got
motivated to investigate. What I found out was that a long time ago
(probably close to 2 years) I had setup a user job that generated the
cutlist from the commflag, and it was running on most of my recording
schedules. My idea was to the use the lossless transcoding to cut out
commercials completely, all automated. I never did get around to doing
that as I didn't completely trust the comm flagger, and since it skips
by itself, I didn't see the need. However, the gen cutlist stuff was
still working away. What I finally realized was that if you are viewing
a recording, the cut list takes precedence over the commercial list, and
you cannot view anything that is in the cutlist, period. If you skip
into that section, it will skip you out, regardless of what your
commercial-skip setting is. I don't believe this is mentioned anywhere
in the Myth documentation (I looked in the Wiki, on the mythtv website,
and in the source docs), so I thought I'd bring it up, in case anyone
else runs into this problem. The solution of course was to stop running
the gen cutlist job.

Tom