[mythtv-users] Xbox frontend - what features do I need

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 07:42:11 UTC 2006

I have done two Xboxes now and both are running great.

I bought mine from Cash Converters here in AU.  Do you have them in
the US or elsewhere?  Anyways, they let me go through the boxes they
had to find a valid serial number on one.  I went for the 1.4 Xboxes
for some reason.

I did the hardmod on each and applied the Cromwell ROM so the Xbox is
no longer a gaming console.  I had to do some soldering the first
time, but the second time I bought a fibreglass pen to clean the
contacts and a silver pen to replace the solder and it was very quick
to do.

I had a USB extension cable that came with my USB flash memory card
and I bought an Xbox controller extension from Electronics Boutique.
This allowed me to splice and dice two cables, one that gives me an
Xbox to USB connection (for plugging a memory card/keyboard/mouse into
my Xbox) and a USB to Xbox connection (for using the Xbox controller
on my PC for gaming).

I bought a proper MS DVD remote from Cash Converters for each of my
Xboxes too as that specific Xbox IR receiver was the only one
compatible with my Logitech Harmony universal remote.

All in all, the Xboxes have been great frontends and I will probably
do a couple more now I have all of the kit to do it quickly.

The hardest part I found for the install was getting all the
dependencies for mythTV and actual mythTV packages installed, but I
used the script from http://bit.blkbk.com/ to help me.  This appears
to not work, but it does if you persist.

HTH's
Whytey