[mythtv-users] Ati Radeon 7000 vs. nVidia FX 5500

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Thu Oct 5 13:31:21 UTC 2006

A couple of months ago, I finally broke down and bought an nVidia
card to replace the ATI graphics on my motherboard.

I've got to say that the quality of the Linux driver support is night
and day. Whereas ATI's driver has known bugs that go for years
without being fixed, nVidia's is rock-solid, easy to install, and
extremely well documented.

As far as your fan quandary goes, you should know that in some cases,
it is possible to run a graphics card without the fan. If you are
only ever doing 2D graphics and not doing intensive things like XvMC,
then you may be able to unplug the fan without doing any harm to the