[mythtv-users] Possible to run this setup?

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 19:48:03 UTC 2006

> > Sorry about the confusion.  That will probably be fine playing back
> > SDTV without XvMC, and in that case, you could then use PiP, though I
> > don't know if while using PiP you'd max out your CPU then (I would
> > guess you might).
>
> Well, I'm using a PVR-500 card, and I think the Athlon XP 1800+ should
> be capable of just *displaying* 2 MPEG streams at about 3 mbit/s? It
> doesn't do any commercial flagging etc, as far as I understand the
> server/client architecture of mythtv this is all done on the backend
> which is an AMD64 3200+ system.

Let us know how it turns out, I'm thinking it will probably work, but
it might be pushing it.  Maybe 2 transcoded mpeg4 streams would be
easier on the CPU?

> Do you think the frontend will run with 256 MByte RAM too?

That's really pushing it.  I don't give any of my systems less than
512, and typically go with 1GB to ensure no memory issues arise.

> > Understandable!  Nobody wants to be told how to watch TV :D  One of
> > the reasons for doing a mythbox is to have TV on your terms.  I was
> > just describing the hypothetical outcome of long term DVR use.  I
> > think even your parents will eventually stop using PiP when they start
> > to see how the DVR will make watching 2 shows easier; just my
> > hypothesis ;)
>
> They mainly use PiP to notice when the commercials finished ;-)

What commercials?  Yet another reason why PiP might go away, auto
commercial flagging/skipping.  It seems that less and less Live TV is
watched in my house because of the amount of recordings we have of
things we actually want to watch.

> Christian.

-Chad

--
Prebuilt HDTV capable systems at reasonable prices:
http://www.pauselivetv.com