[mythtv-users] Mysql server

jack snodgrass mrlinuxgroups at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 19:48:57 UTC 2006

On 10/5/06, Chris Moewes-Bystrom <chris.moewes at gmail.com> wrote:
> I currently have my mythtv box as well as a seperate fileserver at
> home. My file server also has mysql running on it for some
> applications I use at home. So this begs the question, if I already
> have a mysql server running on an different box, does it benefit me to
> move the mythtv database off my mythtv box and onto the other box.
> Based on the assumption that anything less the mythtv box has to do,
> the more time it can spend doing what it does best?
>
> Also, is it possible to set up myth to do things like transcodeing or
> commflagging on a different box? If so, what do i need to have running
> on that box?
>

> --
> Christopher Moewes-Bystrom
> www.moewes.com
> chris.moewes at gmail.com

I can't see any benefit to having the mysql server for myth running
on the same box if you already have one running on a different box....
no reason to run two mysql servers... unless you want to make one
a master and one a slave and setup mirroring... even then, you'd
probably make the fileserver one the master and the myth one the
slave... I have a similar setup to you... my mythbackend is on my
firewall and my mythweb and mysql is on a vmware guest image
( that also runs on the firewall box ) I don't have any issues with the
mysql server being on a different 'box'.

for the transcoding and commerical flagging, you can set up
slave backends and offload stuff to then. The master and slaves
can NFS mount the storage area so they all have access to the
files. I haven't set this up, but I'm pretty sure it can be done.

jack