[mythtv-users] xorg.conf question

Andrew Davis andrew at nccomp.com
Thu Oct 5 23:42:36 UTC 2006

I've been attempting to hack out an xorg.conf by hand but keep hitting
one roadblock or another. I'm listing below what I think is the proper
format... could someone tell me if I'm correct?

The "ServerLayout" defines one (or more) "Screens" as well as the
keyboard and mouse...

A "Screen" is a combination of a "Device" and a "Monitor"...

A "Monitor" is just that... an LCD, CRT, TV, projector, etc...

A "Device" is a video card...

Am I correct so far? If so, then...

A "Device" (a video card") can have multiple output ports, so while a
"Screen" is a combination/definition of a "Device" and a "Monitor", that
means you can define, for example, two "Screens" that could call the
same "Device", but have different "Monitor" 's. However, since the
different output ports typically have different options and
capabilities, this wouldn't necessarily work. You would define a
"Screen" as using "MonitorA" and "DeviceA" with options set for MonitorA
in a "Monitor" section (such as HorizSync and VertRefresh") and the same
for a "Device" (such as "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"). However, its in the
"Screen" section that you define resolutions, not in the "Monitor"
section... presumably because the resolution capabilities are made up of
the capabilities of both the "Monitor" and the "Device"???

Am I still on track???

Assuming so, then one final question... does the order matter (other
than "Options"... obviously an "Option" for a "Device" must be defined
in the "Device" section). I ask because I read through most example
xorg.conf files, I see:

ServerLayout
Files
Modules
Server Flags
Input Devices
Monitors
Devices
Screens

For some reason, that doesn't fit in my brain as a proper "dependency
layout" if the way I've described things above is correct. To me, a more
organized, "dependency layout" would be:

ServerLayout
    Files
    Modules
    ServerFlags
    InputDevices
    Screens
       Devices
       Monitors

If someone could clear this up for me (both my assumptions above, as
well as question about order), I'm thinking I might get further in
getting my xorg.conf to work properly.