[mythtv-users] [ivtv-users] Scrambled signal

Nathan Allworth dittobox at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 03:40:19 UTC 2006

John Pierce wrote:
> I uninstalled the guru rpms for ivtv and the ivtv-kernel-module, I
> then downloaded the 0.6.4 tar file from ivtvdriver.org (the one for
> the 2.6.16????? kernel that I am running) I then did a make and make
> install and all went well.
>
> I modprobed the ivtv driver and if I do cat /dev/video0 > test.mpg the
> resulting file has a black picture and sound.

That's the correct driver and version. Make sure your user is either
root, or is in the 'video' group.

Which input on your card are you using for video? Let's say it's
s-video, so do this, as it will list the inputs on your card:

# ivtvctl -n

If it complains that you can't find the command, try this:

# /usr/local/bin/ivtvctl -n

That'll spit out something to the effect of:

ioctl: VIDIOC_ENUMINPUT
         Input   : 0
         Name    : Television
         Type    : 0x00000001
         Audioset: 0x00000000
         Tuner   : 0x00000000
         Standard: 0x0000000000723FF7 ( PAL NTSC SECAM )
         Status  : 0

         Input   : 1
         Name    : Composite1
         Type    : 0x00000002
         Audioset: 0x00000000
         Tuner   : 0x00000000
         Standard: 0x0000000000723FF7 ( PAL NTSC SECAM )
         Status  : 0

         Input   : 2
         Name    : S-Video
         Type    : 0x00000002
         Audioset: 0x00000000
         Tuner   : 0x00000000
         Standard: 0x0000000000723FF7 ( PAL NTSC SECAM )
         Status  : 0

Since we're looking for s-video, on my pvr-150mce it's number 2, the 3rd
input.

Let's switch the encoder chip and driver to use number 3.

# /usr/local/bin/ivtvctl -p 2

Now try viewing video in your player again.

Read this for more info, http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Ivtvctl

In version 0.8.0 onward, you'll want to use the new v4l2-ctl to change
inputs.

HTH

__
Nathan