[mythtv-users] Database problem?

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Fri Oct 6 17:24:52 UTC 2006

On Fri Oct 06, 2006 at 04:58:29PM +0100, Peter Crighton wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Oct 2006 10:46:17 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >On 10/6/06, Peter Crighton <mythtv at p-cright.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> >> Host name: mythtv
> >> Database: mythconverg
> >> User:
> >> Password:
> >> Database type: Mysql
> >
> >Is the hostname 'mythtv' registered in your /etc/hosts file, or on a
> >dns server somewhere? I'd try localhost instead.
>
> Tried that - no different, although "mysql mythconverg -h localhost -u
> mythtv -pmythtv" successfully connects to the database.

From the comments in my mysql config file, using localhost will default
to using sockets rather than networking, so I suspect your mysql server
isn't listening on the network at all.  Try adding the following lines
to your my.cnf file, and check the mysql init.d file to see whether
that's adding any command line options which may disable networking.

        port = 3306
        bind-address = 127.0.0.1 mythtv

(you may need to use the IP address instead of mythtv there).

Cheers,
        Robin
--
     ___