[mythtv-users] Database problem?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Oct 6 18:52:52 UTC 2006

Peter Crighton wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Oct 2006 10:46:17 -0500, you wrote:
>
>> On 10/6/06, Peter Crighton <mythtv at p-cright.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>> Host name: mythtv
>>> Database: mythconverg
>>> User:
>>> Password:
>>> Database type: Mysql
>> Is the hostname 'mythtv' registered in your /etc/hosts file, or on a
>> dns server somewhere? I'd try localhost instead.
>
> Tried that - no different, although "mysql mythconverg -h localhost -u
> mythtv -pmythtv" successfully connects to the database.

localhost should always work for the mysql client to talk to the mysql
server on the same machine.
Your problem is likely that your mythtv frontend thinks your mysql
server is on some other machine...you may have entered mythtv or mythbox
or something in mythtv-setup, but that exact name does not also appear
in /etc/hosts so that the frontend (or backend) actually sends the mysql
requests to the correct place.

Go into mythtv-setup and replace all references to computers with
127.0.0.1 and make sure that you have '127.0.0.1 localhost' in /etc/hosts.

This works for all single computer setups (back and frontend on the same
machine). Fails for two computer setups.

Geoff Newbury

        Helping with the HTTP issue