[mythtv-users] Noise problem with Freeview card

Stephen Boddy stephen.boddy at btinternet.com
Sat Oct 7 13:14:05 UTC 2006

On Saturday 07 October 2006 12:18, Graeme McClinton wrote:
> I have a working MythTV setup with 2 identical Terratec Cinergy 1400
> Freeview tuners.
>
> However, one of the cards is intermittently noisy, varying between the
> occasional glitch to completely unwatchable. This only happens on certain
> channels/muxes, for example I remember seeing it on Film 4 and UKTV
> History, but I have never seen it on Mux 1 (i.e. all the BBC channels).

Are you using the passthrough from the first card to feed the second? I find
that that causes massive degradation in the signal. I ended up buying a four
way splitter/amp, and feeding three DVB cards and the analogue TV that way. I
still have a somewhat crappy analogue signal, but the DVB are all almost
perfect.

> I have named the cards Freeview 1 and Freeview 2. The glitches only happen
> on Freeview 1, but I don't know how to determine which physical card this
> is.
>
> I could just randomly remove 1 card at a time, but as this is an
> intermittent fault, it could take me a while to see the effects.
>
> Does anyone know how to physically tell the cards apart?

Go to live TV, make sure you're on Freeview 1, then yank the aerials out of
each card in turn. When the signal dies, you've found what the system
considers to be Freeview 1.
--
Steve Boddy