[mythtv-users] Upgrade Suggestions Requested

David Vasquez vasqued2 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 7 16:27:14 UTC 2006

I'm currently running Myth .19 on FC3.  I've got two
drives on the box.  A 40G drive with all of the system
files and a 160G drive used for the myth recordings.
I also have an extra 200G drive that is available for
use.

My thought is to do a clean install of the FC5 and
Myth .20 but I can't lose anything (recordings or
recording schedules) from my current setup.

Here are the steps I was thinking of.  I'd appreciate
any input if I'm making this too hard or why this
wouldn't work.

1. Backup the current MythTV database from the 40G
drive to the 160G drive.

2. Swap the 40G drive with the new 200G drive and
install FC5 and Myth .20 (w/ LVM)

3. Restore the MythTV database from the 160G drive to
the new 200G drive.  WILL THIS WORK, because I'll be
restoring a .19 database into a .20 installation?

4. Copy the recordings from the 160G drive to the 200G
drive.  At this point, everything should be on the
200G drive and working.

5.  Reformat the 160G (w/ LVM) and add use it for more
recording space.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
David