[mythtv-users] Mostly OT: Blue bars in mplayer.

Johan Venter mythtv at vulturest.com
Sun Oct 8 11:10:46 UTC 2006

Hi guys,

I know this is off-topic for the MythTV list and probably more suited to
the MPlayer or nVidia lists, but I figured seeing as I'm not a part of
those communities, but am a part of this one, I'd ask here first.

I am aware that in recent versions of the proprietary nVidia binary
drivers Xv is implemented using textures utilising the graphics card's
3D engine rather than the older hardware overlay method on some models,
including the FX5200 that I have.

This of course means that the XV_COLORKEY attribute is a thing of the past.

This is all well and good for MythTV which seems to not really care
about the missing attribute, however when playing videos using MPlayer
from MythVideo I see couple-pixel-wide blue bars of the MythCenter theme
bleeding through on the left and right of the video, and no amount of me
futzing with geometry, overscan or other various parameters seems to help.

Before someone retorts with "use Myth's Internal player", I would but it
doesn't seem to initialise A52 like MPlayer, so using it means I miss
out on proper 5.1 surround on my Audigy 4. That's another problem
altogether, though.

So, if I have misunderstood the problem can someone please correct me,
or if possible point me in the right direction to solving this issue?

Any useful MPlayer / Xorg / Xv settings anyone know of to fix this?

Thanks, and sorry once again for the OT post. If I'm told to beat it, I
will understand :)

Regards,

Johan.