[mythtv-users] ffmpeg -hq

Mike stuff at dustsmoke.com
Sun Oct 8 13:43:24 UTC 2006

Mike wrote:
> Stephen Atkins wrote:
>
>> Trey Thompson wrote:
>>

>>> I'm using the great wiki page about converting mpgs into flvs for
>>> streaming via flash.
>>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Stream_mythtv_recordings_from_mythweb_using_flash_video
>>>
>>> I had to remove the -hq option because it doesn't work.
>>>
>>> I've been through the help and read about all the options (man, what a
>>> flexible program!)
>>>
>>> What was the -hq option, and is there a replacement?
>>>

>> Not sure what the -hq is used for but it doesn't work on my system
>> either.  By removing it it still transcodes it just fine.  The only
>> thing I did notice was that there is a lot of pixelation.  Not the best
>> quality especially for the size of the file.  I think I'll stick with
>> converting them to my iPod.
>>

> It appears to be depricated in newer versions of ffmpeg. Nobody appears
> to know what it did that I can tell, all I know is I updated nuvexport
> to the latest version and it stopped complaining about -hq. However, I
> still can't finish a myth2ipod script anymore but it gets further.
>
> -Mike

Boy, its screwey with all the latest version but I got it working again
after pulling teeth through all the bugs.

If your getting the -hu problem with ffmpeg, update you nuvexport from
trunk and that should go away. After you've done that, try to re-encode
again to see if it works. Otherwise continue on.

If you get a file that looks kind of like it completed but it won't
play. (aka, not the .temp.mp4 file but the full .mp4 file) You must have
a new version of ffmpeg that isn't reporting FFMPEG_VERSION. So you get
to rebuild gpac.

Install GPAC 0.4.2

   cd /tmp
   wget
http://internap.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/gpac/gpac-0.4.2-rc2.tar.gz
   wget
http://internap.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/gpac/gpac_extra_libs-0.4.0.tar.gz

   tar -zxf gpac-0.4.2-rc2.tar.gz
   tar -zxf  gpac_extra_libs-0.4.0.tar.gz
   cd gpac_extra_libs
   cp -r * ../gpac/extra_lib
   cd /tmp/gpac

Modify line 662 of gpac/modules/ffmpeg_in/ffmpeg_decode.c with this line
(or get CVS version of gpac and skip modifying the code on your own)
sprintf(szCodec, "FFMPEG %s", ffd->codec->name ? ffd->codec->name :
"unknown");

   chmod +x configure
   ./configure
   make lib
   make apps
   make install

 From here, it worked for me. Not fun but once it works, they are
crystal clear transcodes from a push of a button.

-Mike

note: I am still using his modified version of ipod.pm from nuvexport too.