[mythtv-users] mythtvsetup hangs

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sun Oct 8 22:17:41 UTC 2006

Jon A Chamberlain wrote:
> Hi Geoff
>
> The problem is that I get a complete system hang before I can get to the
> end of the "general ' option in Mythtvsetup.
>
> Typically, I can enter things like the IP address, location of the
> recordings, broadcast std, etc, but at that point it has always 'frozen'
> - cannot switch to other applications - only rebooting (via the power
> button) seems to do anything.
>
> How should the tuner show up in /dev?
>
> Cheers,
Well this means that either the hardware is being seen in the wrong way
(or place) and causes a hang, or the myth software is corrupted.

You are using an ivtv based card. It should show up as /dev/video0.

Going from memory here, but this is on Jarod's site, you should be able
to use ivtv-ctl to tune to a channel, and then capture a stream to your
computer and play it in mplayer. If you have done a channel scan you
should be able to that inside mplayer.
Try that. If you get a stream which you can view and here, then the
problem is NOT hardware.
If so, then remove all traces of the present mythtv software and start
again. You can leave the mysql database. It is entirely standalone wrt
mythtv and you will not lose anything... not that it sounds like you got
far enough to have anything to lose!

Geoff