[mythtv-users] Xbox frontend - what features do I need

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Mon Oct 9 19:44:03 UTC 2006

On Mon, Oct 09, 2006 at 03:05:42PM +0200, Guillaume Membr? wrote:
> After reading all your posts, I still have a question : is it possible
> to use the xbox as a "normal" frontend : ie watching live
> tv/recordings/videos(divx, xvid)/dvds...
> I see that some people have some issue about speed in menus : is it
> really slow ?

It depends on your definition of "really slow".

I'm running 0.19 with ratpoison as my windowmanager and for most
operations the menu isn't much slower than what I used to get from
my Motorola digital set-top-box.  The XBox is more than adequate
for playing back SDTV (live or recorded doesn't make much
difference on a stand-alone frontend).

The speed of *some* menus will depend on the speed of your SQL
server, network topology and how much media you have on the
backend.  A fresh install will always run much faster than one
where your backend has 500Gb of media and an 18-month history of
previously-viewed content.