[mythtv-users] Picture Quality...

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Mon Oct 9 21:49:54 UTC 2006

Brian Wood wrote:
> TV tuners are pretty much commodity items these days, and whether
> they are going into TV sets or tuner cards they are essentially the
> same thing. I haven't seen any real difference between them.

I've found that TV tuner cards, living as they do inside an electrically
noisy computer, often have one or two channels where the picture is poor
compared to a TV set due to interference.  On other channels they'll be
fine.  Also, maybe because of this noise pick-up problem, tuner cards
often seem to have less gain than a regular TV or VCR.  With a good
cable signal you won't notice, but if the signal is a bit weak the
picture from the card won't look as good.  I had one card for a while
where the manual actually recommended using an external pre-amp.