[mythtv-users] Ratpoison on dedicated frontend

Leighton Brough brough at baremetalsoft.com
Tue Oct 10 07:15:54 UTC 2006

Nowhere wrote:
> My guess is that the machine is just barely too slow so I decided to
> try ratpoison to free up some resources. I yum installed it, selected
> it from custom session, clicked to make it default and setup a
> ~mythtv/.xsession file just as it says here
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/98133?nohighlight=1#98133
>
> However I don't think this file is every executed as mythfrontend
> never starts.  So I RTFM at ratpoison site (which doesn't mention
> anything about how to install ratpoison btw). and decided to create a
> .ratpoisonrc file too. Doesnt seem that this gets executed either
> since frontend still doesnt start up. Also when I ctrl-t or ctrl-c, no
> terminal pops up. I obviously don't know anything about ratpoison and
> the documentation is horrible unless you already know how to use it.

Hi Eric,

I find ratpoison works really well with myth. I use ~/.xinitrc to start
ratpoison:

exec /usr/bin/ratpoison

This does run .ratpoisonrc  when it starts. Mine contains this:

set bargravity south
exec ~/start-irxevent
exec ~/start-mtd
exec ~/start-mythbackend

The various start-* commands are just shell scripts which launch the
programs in question with appropriate command line options (mythbackend
in turn starts mythwelcome and mythfrontend). You need "Ctrl-T" then "C"
to open a console window.

Cheers,
Leighton