[mythtv-users] Hardware check - first time MythTV build

Andrew Best festivus at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 13:01:54 UTC 2006

On 10/10/06, Jonas Anden <jonas at anden.nu> wrote:
> > TV-IN:
> > HAUPPAGE-NOVA-T-500-MCE
>
> I've got the same one. Works with the latest inuxtv.org DVB drivers (not
> in the atrpms yet I think (at least not when I installed it two weeks
> ago) so I'm using the drivers from their source tree. Not 100% stable
> though -- not sure if its the drivers or the DVB core in the kernel, but
> something is seriously messing up and the box locks up sometimes
> (especially if the signal is bad) If you need stable DVB-T (and can't
> wait for more stable drivers/kernel), get another card. I've got three
> analog tuners as well, so I'm not too dependent on the DVB tuners.

Looking for suggestions on what to replace it with. Would prefer a
dual tuner card to save a PCI slot if I can.

> > RAM: 2 x CORSAIR 512MB DDR2-533 PC4200
>
> Could be a little tight if you want this as a combined backend/frontend
> and run parallel X sessions. My backend has 768 MB memory and it is
> pretty much using all that (no swapping though). 0.19 used a little less
> memory (steady aroung 500 MB used). On the other hand, you've got

Hmmm, might up it to 2 x 1GB then. Thanks.

> Don't forget about the DVD-RW ;)

Its on the list. I didnt mention since I figured it was an obvious inclusion.

I realised two other points worth mentioning got left out.

- I'd like suggestions for a decent solution to wireless KB, Mouse and IR Remote
- Planning to run on debian.

--
There is no gravity the world sucks.
- William Gibson - Pattern Recognition