[mythtv-users] Information/Recommendations on a new MythTV

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Oct 11 14:57:33 UTC 2006

On Oct 11, 2006, at 8:13 AM, Timothy Chartier wrote:

>>> Another question I have is I read
>>> that XFS is one of the prefered filesystem type for MythTV and
>>> EXT2 and ReiserFS both should be avoided. As my current FS is
>>> ReiserFS is this a big problem?
>>

> Can anyone explane the reasoning behind EXT2 and ReiserFS being
> "not prefered" filesystems? Is it because they are slower on access
> or don't store large files well? Thanks.

EXT-2 is not a journaling system, which is generally considered not
good, I've read about issues with Reiser but have no personal
experience.

One thing to be aware of with  EXT3 is that when you delete a large
file (as just about all Myth-recorded files are) the system blocks
all disk access until the delete is complete. If you are recording at
the time you can run out of disk buffer and thus lose information. I
assume this would be true for EXT2 as well, as EXT3 is simply a
journaling EXT2. In fact, a system that knows nothing about EXT3 will
R/W an EXT3 filesystem as EXT2 (without updating the journal of course).

In practice, with EXT3, I have discovered that if I delete a
recording of more than 1 hour duration while recording I will get
hits in the recording. Deleting files of 1 hour or less seems to
cause no problems.

I'm guessing I could play with buffer size etc. to minimize the
problem, but I haven't done so because it's not a big issue for me as
it is, and EXT3 has worked fine otherwise.