[mythtv-users] Cheap & simple solution for Optical SPDIF output

Willy Boyd willyboyd at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 17:25:01 UTC 2006

On 10/11/06, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:
> Willy Boyd <willyboyd at gmail.com> says:
> > I'm posting this for the sake of anyone that might search for this
> > sort of thing, as this was one of those few things I couldn't find an
> > answer online and just kind of stumbled on it.
>
> [Snip]
>
> Willy, thanks for posting. As I wrote recently
> <URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/227841#227841>
> I'd like to move to 5.1 sound soon but know little about optical
> audio, and your message pretty much answered all of my questions. I do
> hope there's a solution to the audio-during-skip issue, though.

I recently (re-)joined the mailing list, so sorry I missed your
earlier post.  Glad to be of help, though.

To answer part of your earlier questions, yes HD broadcasts in
particular are going to be 5.1, and of course DVDs if you watch them
via Myth.  Personally I'm really happy with using MythDVD instead of
my standalone player for now (just started with 0.20 though).

My receiver (an RCA unit I got as Sam's years ago), has always taken a
second or so to start playing digital audio.  Now this device is my
only experience with digital sound (coax OR optical), but I leaning
towards it just being weak in that department.  Certainly not likely
it's a myth-specific issue anyway.  Can anyone else using SPDIF with
myth comment on how it behaves during skips?  It would be nice to know
this is one thing that will clear itself up when I eventually upgrade
my receiver one day.